While açaí bowls are relatively new in the United States, they've been a staple in Brazil for decades, if not longer. The dish is made with the frozen and mashed fruit of the açaí palm, a purple, berry-like fruit native to Central and South America, which possesses an earthy, creamy taste. Because the açaí palm isn’t particularly sweet, it’s typically mixed and topped with an assortment of banana, blueberries, coconut flakes, granola, and honey before being served as a bowl.
Whichever mix-ins you choose, açaí is thought to be a strong superfood of the Amazons, and now, the United States. This part of the recipe alone contains iron, calcium, and fiber, as well as have ten times more antioxidants than red grapes. This dish overall is known for its anti-inflammatory benefits, support of the immune system, and aid in fighting diabetes, cancer, and vascular diseases. If you’re convinced of its benefits yet, try it for yourself by taste-testing out the recipe below!
• Two 4-ounce packets of unsweetened frozen acai puree
• 1 medium banana
• 1/2 cup blueberries
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 3 tablespoons granola
• 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
• 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Break the frozen acai up a little by slapping the sealed packets on the countertop or hitting them with a meat mallet.
2. Blend the berries with 1/2 the banana, 1/4 cup of the blueberries, and the honey in the blender, stopping to stir and break up the mixture as needed, until it's the consistency of a thick smoothie. Once finished, transfer to a cereal bowl.
3. Slice the remaining 1/2 banana. Arrange the slices, the remaining 1/4 cup blueberries, granola, pomegranate seeds, and coconut flakes in neat piles or rows on top of the acai. Enjoy – but, don’t forget to snap an Instagram-worthy pic first!
Coming up with new meal ideas can be a challenge. Luckily, Wildwood Ridge Apartments in Atlanta, Georgia makes it simple by presenting deliciously realistic options, such as this one!