A warm bowl of cream of mushroom soup with tender bites of brown mushroom pieces is just what the doctor ordered on a cold winter’s night! Brought to life with garlic, onions, and herbs that shine through and compliment the natural flavor of the mushrooms without overpowering it, this soup is a favorite of families across the United States. Plus, it’s easy to put together with ingredients you may already have in your kitchen – meaning you are minutes away from a satisfying bowl of creamy, stomach-warming goodness! So, what are you waiting for? Check out the ingredients and directions below!
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 2 onions, diced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 1/2 pounds fresh brown mushrooms, sliced
• 4 teaspoons chopped thyme, divided
• 1/2 cup Marsala wine (
• 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
• 1-2 teaspoons salt, adjust to taste
• 1/2-1 teaspoons black cracked pepper, adjust to taste
• 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
• 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
• Chopped fresh parsley and thyme, to serve
1. Heat butter and oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until melted. Sauté onion for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. Cook garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add mushrooms and 2 teaspoons thyme, cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the wine and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
3. Sprinkle mushrooms with flour, mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Add stock, mix again, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium heat, season with salt, pepper, and crumbled bouillon cubes.
4. Cover and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, while occasionally stirring, until thickened.
5. Reduce heat to low, stir in cream or half and half. Allow to gently simmer— do not boil. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
6. Mix in parsley and remaining thyme. Serve warm.
Coming up with new meal ideas can be a challenge. Luckily, Wildwood Ridge Apartments in Atlanta, Georgia makes it simple by presenting deliciously realistic options, such as this one!