Queso fundido, or queso flameado, is a popular dish in Mexican culture. And, why wouldn’t it be? It is made from all of all the classic staples that you’d typically find in a Mexican appetizer, with creamy, melted cheese paired with the spicy hardiness of chorizo sausage. Often compared to cheese fondue, it makes a great dish for cookouts, camping, and other small group activities with your family. Plus, it’s simple to make, with just a few common ingredients that you most likely have sitting around your kitchen right now! Check out this recipe for this cheesy favorite:
- 1 poblano chile
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo, casing removed
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Valentina or Cholula)
- ½ teaspoon powdered adobo seasoning
- 6 ounces shredded queso Chihuahua
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges and warm tortillas, for serving
- Blister chile on stovetop over high heat, turning occasionally until blackened all over, 10-12 minutes. Place in a small bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let sit until chile is soft, about 15-20 minutes. Remove peel and seeds; discard. Coarsely chop flesh.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small skillet over medium. Cook chorizo, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon until brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Heat broiler. Layer half of chile, half of chorizo, 1 teaspoon of hot sauce, ¼ teaspoon adobo seasoning, and half of cheese in a heavy in a broiler-proof dish or a small cast-iron skillet, ideally 5” wide. Broil until cheese is melted and beginning to brown, approximately 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven, then repeat your layers with the remaining chile, chorizo, hot sauce, adobo seasoning, and cheese. Again, broil until the top layer is melted and beginning to brown, about 2 more minutes.
- Top with chopped scallion and cilantro. Serve hot with lime wedges and warm tortillas for dipping.
Mix-up something scrumptious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Wildwood Ridge Apartments in Atlanta, Georgia and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!