Ever since the dawn of social media, we’ve relied on certain platforms to stay in touch with old friends, connect with distant family members, and even meet new people. If you are a social media user, however, it’s important to keep your safety in mind. By following the tips below, you can combat the various dangers of these platforms, whether you’re dealing with an online troll or stealthy hacker. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. So, check out the following suggestions below, which will help you stay safe on social media.
- Use a strong password. Make it long and use a variety of characters. Be sure to differentiate your passwords between accounts.
- Set up your security questions and answers. Do not pick questions that someone could easily guess the answer to or that you’ll forget.
- If you have social media apps on your phone, be sure to password protect your device.
- Don’t accept or follow just anyone. Fake accounts are very common on social media sites, so be wary of anyone you come into contact with who is not a real-world acquaintance.
- Click links with caution. Keep in mind that social media accounts are regularly hacked, and millions of people are affected every year. If a post seems spammy, it probably is.
- Be careful about what you share. Don’t reveal sensitive personal information to anyone online, like your home address or banking information. Doing so could result in you having your identity stolen.
- Take advantage of privacy settings. Customizing your privacy settings to control who sees what can help you avoid trouble with shady social media users.
Wildwood Ridge Apartments in Atlanta, Georgia